Stairway Redesign & Reconstruction in Phoenix
Timeless Design & Functionality for this Phoenix Stairway Remodel
Residential Stairway Design & Remodel
Category: Residential Interior Element over $30,000
Project Cost: $40,414
Ever wonder what it takes to remodel a staircase? An Elegant and Inviting access to the second level of the home. Once Lorrie bagan the re-design of this Stairway, it became clear this would be a Classy transformation.
- Safety was one of the main concerns for a redesign, and new layout, for the staircase.
- Due to the curvature of the existing staircase, the inside path of the existing stairs created treads which were too shallow, with the outside path of the curve having treads which were to deep for normal use. This made it very difficult on an elderly parent to utilize the railing while ascending or descending the stairs when they visited.
- The existing design aesthetic of the stairway was outdated, and did not match the design style of the new homeowner.
- The downstairs felt closed off from the upstairs; due to a wall blocking the view.
- The overall size of the existing staircase layout was extremely large and over-bearing in the room.
Our Solution & Proposed Stairway Layout
- The curved section below the landing was to be completely removed and replaced with a new straight section of stairs, including a ‘flared’ bottom of stairs which a subtle curved front stair tread design.
- The upper hallway section of ‘pony’ wall was to be cut-down shorter, and include the addition of new railing material to create a more open-feel between the stairway and upstairs.
- All of the old, dated, white-washed oak railing components were to be removed and replaced with new hardwood materials.
- The under stair cubby would receive a new cabinet for additional storage, and seating area to put on shoes before going outside.
- An elegant mixture of Stained Hardwood mixed with Painted Hardwood Finishes.
The bottom section of stairs removed from the landing down to the floor.
The Travertine tile cut-out, and removed, where the new stairs are to be installed. This way the stair sections will attach directly to the solid, concrete, base.
Installation of the new sections of stairs create the new layout and footprint. Start of the finishing touches. The new, solid hardwood, stair treads are installed. Stain grade Oak Treads, with Paint Grade Risers.
Installation of the new, solid hardwood, railings and balusters. Painting has begun for all of the white components.
Notice the pony wall at the top of the stairs has been removed, and replaced with new railing and balusters for an open feel at the hallway upstairs.
Before and After Pictures
What was once a closed-off, and un-inviting, staircase was redesigned for better functionality and beauty!
Replacing the drywall pony wall at the upstairs hallway with new railing system really opens up the upstairs area.
A previously un-used niche under the stairs become a quaint storage and seating area to relax reading a book, or putting on your shoes before heading outside.
What was once dark and cold, becomes an open and inviting staircase. The solid hardwood stair treads and risers are finished off with a custom carpet runner.
Hochuli Design & Remodeling Team works closely with good people to build positive memories while bringing their home remodeling dreams to life, while upholding 4 major beliefs:
1) A belief in Teamwork: We believe it takes a Team to build a Dream. Our dedicated team works with the homeowner towards a common goal, and is proud to assist homeowners with the challenges of Remodeling.
2) A belief in Customer Service: We believe in a ‘Boutique Level of Customer Service’ that builds lasting relationships. Instead of the typical Contractor vs. Client transaction, we believe in a two-way alliance of Character, Trust, and Integrity.
3) A belief in Quality Design: We believe an Educated and Industry Certified Design staff helps to ensure the homeowners money is well spent on a timeless and lasting project.
4) We believe remodeling can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience for everyone involved.
You can find some before/after pictures of this Phoenix Stairway Remodeling Project Here
Are you embarrassed to entertain because your home is outdated our un-functional, and in need of some space planning and layout help? Learn more about our Team, then fill out the form below to schedule a time we can discuss your design/build remodel project.