How to Pick a Contractor You Can Trust
Picking a contractor can be a fairly difficult process, especially since there are too many stories about homeowners being ripped off by contractors. So when you decide to remodel your home, how do you select a remodeling firm that will provide you with a good experience at a fair price?
Here are a five tips to help you pick a contractor that you can trust:
- Ask friends and family members for referrals. This is, by far, one of the best ways to find a contractor that you can trust. Your friends and family are going to be blunt with you about the experience they had with the remodeler they selected. Start your search by asking them who they’d recommend.
- Don’t base your selection entirely on price. We’ve all heard the adage, “You get what you pay for,” and you do need to keep that in mind when selecting a remodeling firm. The truth is, a contractor who will provide you with a good remodeling experience probably will not be the cheapest. On the flip side, if you find a contractor who is significantly less expensive than the others, it may be an indication that he cuts corners, such as using lower-grade materials, not carrying proper insurance or trying to be a handyman and doing it all himself (instead of hiring experienced subcontractors for specialty work). If you are considering a much-lower-priced contractor for your remodeling project, do be mindful of how that could affect the progress and outcome of your project.
- Think of your contractor as a relationship. While selecting a new home builder is important, selecting a contractor to renovate your home is even more so because they are inside your home – and your lives – day in and day out. You need to be comfortable with having the contractor’s entire team (including subcontractors) in and around your home for the duration of the project.
- Can you communicate with them easily? Do they understand what you want in your renovated space, and do you feel confident that you and the contractor can work well together throughout the entire construction process?
- Do you feel the contractor will be respectful of your home, your belongings, your schedule and your pets?
- Does the construction process match your expectations? Do you feel comfortable with the payment schedule? The design process? How selections are chosen? Do you feel comfortable with living with the timeframe in which your home will be under construction?
- Review the contractor’s portfolio. Look at the contractor’s past work to see what types of projects he tends to do. Everything from design creativity to ballpark price will be revealed in past projects, which should help you determine if he may be a good fit for what you have in mind.
- Call past customers. All contractors have past customers who are happy to serve as references, but most homeowners don’t make those calls. Take the time to do so, and ask the past customers questions such as “What’s the one thing you’d do differently about your remodeling project?” and “What’s the one frustration you had with the contractor, and looking back, how would you have resolved it?” No projects go off without a hitch, and knowing some steps you can take to avoid even the tiniest of frustrations will make your remodeling experience that much better.
In addition to these tips, please refer to these 18 questions to ask to hire the right design/build contractor for you. Or Contact us to schedule a time to chat about your project